Video is a powerful tool for patient engagement.
Interactive technology provides a platform for increased patient engagement. When a patient is admitted to a hospital the first thing they want is answers. Answers to what is causing their illness, the plan for treatment and when they can leave. There are many options available for educating patients, and two common options are educational printouts or being receiving verbal instruction from the staff. What if your facility had the option to educate your patients through video?
On-demand, patient education can increase retention by up to 16 times more than that of text. HCI has developed a patient education solution that can educate your patients in the most effective and time efficient way possible. The HCI solution, which is part of our Interactive Patient Care software, is an interactive technology system that has the capability to:
- Prescribe educational videos to the patient based on diagnosis code and make viewing the content a mandate for discharge.
- Significantly reduce printing costs with dramatic reductions in costs of paper, toner, cartridges, printer maintenance contracts and the space to store and track it all.
- Create better patient understanding of how to manage their health once discharged, and how to avoid behaviors that contributed to their hospitalization.
- Improve compliance in terms of staff completing patient rounding information and better patient outcomes.
- Decrease readmissions.
- Increase Care Team collaboration regarding patient care, and accurately record patient care history in the electronic health record.
Interactive technology is a powerful ally in your goal toward better patient education.
HCI’s patient education solution integrates into existing hospital systems, including the ADT and EHR systems. This provides the Care Team with the ability to automate a number of workflows, reduce the number of nonclinical tasks requiring their attention so they can focus on the quality of care they are providing. This interactive technology solution provides a complete, closed loop of patient care, enabling the provider to achieve higher satisfaction rates and increased referrals. The RN Journal reports that “Interactive technology is an innovative and an emerging healthcare delivery model that emphasizes providing educational and entertainment resources to the patient on the premise that a more involved patient will result in a positive experience” and “[The study] revealed that [the] interactive technology is very efficient in communicating with patients and that the patient satisfaction increased by 42 percent (Dunn, 2011).”
Patient engagement and providing proper patient education encourages retention and builds trust, while encouraging the patient to continue active involvement in their health and continued recovery after they leave the hospital. Discover more HCI Interactive Patient Care solutions and schedule your brief online or in-person demo today.