Patient Engagement Strategies
A common concern in healthcare systems is how to use available technology for increasing patient engagement. When patient engagement is managed correctly, it leads to lower readmissions, increased satisfaction, happier patients and lower operating costs. Patient engagement needs to support patient-centered care as a partnership between the Care Team and patient. Collaboration and communication needs to be a seamless process for actively engaging patients in their care for the best outcomes.
Why Increasing Patient Engagement is Important
Why is this important for a healthcare system or facility? For multiple reasons:
- Individuals are consuming media-on-demand, on their terms and at a dramatic pace.
- The use of media and apps are increasing across all age groups. Facilities can use this trend to their advantage to better educate, communicate and entertain while providing the clinical staff tools to better manage, measure and document the quality of care.
Still True Today
Bob Dylan wrote, “The Times They Are A-Changin”, and that has never been more pertinent than it is today. Technology has transformed almost all aspects of our lives, and one example of this is how we watch entertainment TV, news, and movies. The reality is that the way we engage with our media and entertainment is changing, and changing fast.
It’s true that how Americans consume media is changing at a rapid pace. All age groups are moving away from traditional broadcast to streaming and on-demand programming options, including the seniors population.
A Pew Research study in March, 2021, shows that “31% of U.S. adults now report that they go online “almost constantly”, led by adults under age 50.” They tend to use streaming devices to consume entertainment on demand, streaming services for video music and podcasts, movies and “binge-worthy” entertainment.
The HUB Delivers Media Options at Scale
HCI’s HUB Set Top Box, working through MediaCare and in tandem with Interactive Whiteboards and in-room patient televisions is a highly flexible, scalable and cost-effective platform for increasing patient engagement. The HUB can be deployed on any TV with an HDMI port, so healthcare providers can quickly transform their current televisions into a full-featured patient entertainment, education, and communication solution. This allows them to scale according to budgetary cycles as needed.
The HCI Interactive Patient Care Solution, using the HUB to provide a variety of options, offers:
- Push delivery of patient-specific education plans through digital patient whiteboards and in-room patient television.
- Entertainment options such as streaming movies, games, relaxation programming, podcasts, video conferencing and music.
- Real-time access and recording to important care, room, and staff information.
- Online workflow management, reporting, and analytic tools.
- Satisfaction surveys and educational content comprehension testing.
- Automated clinical workflows and EHR documentation.
Learn more about the HUB and see how this simple device works with HCI Interactive Whiteboards to support increased patient engagement for better patient satisfaction, increased referrals and lower operating costs. Schedule your virtual demo to see patient engagement in action today.