Coordinate. Communicate. Collaborate.
Patient Care Management and Workflow Automation
Collaboration is key to delivering quality patient care management. Ineffective communication on Care Teams and with ancillary departments in the patient care cycle creates gaps and errors.
One of the most common methods for sharing patient information in the hospital setting is the dry erase marker board. Caregivers may not have time to complete updates on a dry erase board in the course of their daily schedule, so this type of communication board is often underutilized. If a dry erase board isn’t regularly updated, the information becomes latent, erased or irrelevant.1
Communication at the Point of Care
Coordinating communication at the point of care by clearly organizing and funneling patient information to the right people at the right time is critical to patient safety.2
Patients who directly participate in their care develop loyalty and satisfaction as a result of their experience. In most hospitals, real-time information in a healthcare setting can’t be edited or displayed in a central location where patient s can see it. Using an enterprise information platform at the point of care is a way to standardize and support patient communication and multidisciplinary collaboration.
MediaCare is the HCI integrated engagement platform that provides visibility into patient care processes. With MediaCare coordinating the display and update of vital patient information, Care Teams can schedule, manage and record care activities through configurable modules throughout a patient’s journey to discharge.
In the patient room and at the Nurses’ Station, the MediaCare integration solution eliminates barriers to effective treatment and discharge in the care process. When a caregiver enters a patient room they have the real-time information they need to effectively communicate with patients, families and colleagues. As a result, patients gain a greater sense of empowerment, clinicians spend less time with administrative tasks, and Nursing staff have more opportunities for collaboration.
From Passive to Active Engagement
Dry Erase boards and paper charting represent passive patient care, requiring constant handwritten updates and supply replacement. HCI digital touchscreen whiteboards and tablets eliminate confusion and reduce communication errors using touch-enabled integrated modules. Caregivers can edit, update and add patient information at the room or Unit level.
No matter where it lives in the infrastructure, information from the EHR and other systems is automatically updated as it changes and displayed on connected devices. With password access, data can be edited at any time on any connected device. With HCI digital whiteboards and tablets, transform patient care activities from passive viewing to real-time engagement, saving thousands of hours per year in unnecessary and redundant documentation activities.
Patients: Empowerment and Satisfaction
Patient perceptions of care rely on the frequency and quality of caregiver communication. They want to know that their care pathway is well-coordinated. HCI touch-enabled whiteboards and tablets align patient perceptions with:
- Searchable on-demand Educational content
- Satisfaction and feedback surveys on demand, which can be routed based on branching logic
- Access to thousands of apps and options for social channels, entertainment, interactive games, audio books, relaxation and streaming
- Video communication with nursing and clinical staff
- Family & Friends videoconferencing to keep loved ones in the loop
- Test Status to view the current status of their lab and scan tests
- Consult Status to view the status of specialty consultation requests
- Internal and external Telemedicine opportunities
- Self-Service request options, like scheduling a chaplain or ordering a meal
- Medication information, including a search function
- Active display of goals, daily plans, milestones, and achievements
- Daily schedule and daily plan
- Identification of Care Team staff by photo, title and role when caregivers enter and leave the room, generating a log of entry and exits
- Space for comments, questions and feedback for the Care Team
Care Teams: Operational Workflow Automation
Staff adoption of supportive technologies is heavily influenced by the tools and software available, and how easy they are to use. In patient care management, this is especially true today.
MediaCare integrates with the EHR, Nurse Call, ADT, RTLS, PACs, EVS, pharmacy, and other hospital technology systems to ease the burden of recording updated information.
In the HCI ecosystem, simple touch-enabled updating at the point of care includes:
- A Support Terminal to set Rounding, Reassessment, Pain and Repositioning reminders
- Bi-directional video and audio monitoring with eSitter. Multi-unit filtering to view any number of patients at one time
- The ability to order equipment and transport at the bedside, request EVS services and assign priority status
- Push delivery of patient-specific education plans, including discharge planning information
- Image Viewer and Palette for image viewing and on-screen annotation
- Nurse Notes entry with the on-screen keyboard and push messaging to patients
- Smart Bed integration for Bed Exit and Fall Risk alerts
- Consultations and Test ordering on-demand
- Automated alerts and protocol indicators for restrictions, codes and risks, and Pain Scale updates by touch
- Patient video monitoring to observe any number of patients at any given time
- Hygiene integration to ensure health protocols
- Staff Emergency call alerts
Administrative Care Management and IT Teams: Lower Costs
With MediaCare, Administrators have access to data analytics for more informed decision-making. They can view aggregated or specific information for resource allocation, capital expenditures and staffing. IT leaders can reduce person-hours and eliminate patient interruptions with remote software management.
- Remote Network Clone and software updates from a central location
- No imposition on existing server space or infrastructure
- Skilled implementation with a team of highly experienced engineers and support personnel
- MediaCare reporting helps examine workflows and staff/bed turnover, providing cost justification to support staffing levels
- Eliminate dry erase board replacement, copier expenses and supply ordering to lower operating costs
- Data analytics to evaluate the success of initiatives and processes with configurable KPI reporting
- Automated HCAHPS, SOPs and custom survey distribution using branching logic
- Service recovery options with immediate patient feedback and alerts
- Secure reimbursements and avoid higher CMS penalties
- Scalable system supports predicable financial planning for future upgrades and expansion
- Data aggregation reporting provides opportunities in research for clinical studies which may be funded, paid or reimbursed
Schedule your virtual demo and learn how we help healthcare systems optimize patient care management and workflows.
 Aronsky D, Jones I, Lanaghan K, Slovis CM. Supporting patient care in the emergency department with a computerized whiteboard system. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2008;15(2):184-194. doi:10.1197/jamia.M2489
 Dingley C, Daugherty K, Derieg MK, Persing R. Improving Patient Safety Through Provider Communication Strategy Enhancements. In: Henriksen K, Battles JB, Keyes MA, Grady ML, editors. Advances in Patient Safety: New Directions and Alternative Approaches (Vol. 3: Performance and Tools). Rockville (MD): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US); 2008 Aug. PMID: 21249923.