Enhance. Enrich. Expand.
Aligning goals and outcomes
Enriching the patient experience
Enhancing their experiences with strategic, digital solutions empowers patients. When patients are engaged, they’re active participants in shared decision-making about their care. And by making it easier to understand their experience, you’re supporting better transitions and overall outcomes. Through simple access to their care plans and goals, their recovery journey is more likely to succeed.
Aligning communication and collaboration
Expanding support for Care teams
Adopting digital technologies means expanding offerings to your patients to enhance their experience. But you’re also engaging your staff with a platform that connects familiar systems in a way that makes their work more effective without consuming more of their time. That’s important because you’re opening up more time spent to spent with patients, and actionable insights for higher quality care.
Patient perceptions of their care reflect through their level of engagement
Patient engagement is more than just the sum of its parts. Engagement is a full range of patient-centered options and choices, which allow patients and their families to fully understand their care and treatment. It includes options for entertainment and education to increase their health literacy and prepare for the transition from hospital-to-home. Patient engagement applies to Care Teams with patient maintenance, touch-enabled rounding, monitoring services and apps to increase their level of collaboration with each other, helping to reduce call fatigue and burnout. Healthcare organizations see measurable increases in patient satisfaction with a higher level of patient engagement. Quality initiatives and benchmarking are an important part of the patient engagement picture, too.
Competitive advantage: welcome videos and informational banners for onboarding
Having a Welcome Message and video ready for patients to view when they arrive in their room enhances the initial impression of the facility and ensures that they’re appropriately onboarded and oriented to begin their stay.
- A welcome message establishes trust in care right from the start. Informing patients about processes and policies upon Admittance sets a positive expectation. A video welcome message can be part of assigned content viewing, with viewing reported through MediaCare.
- Preemptively answer basic questions and offer information on retail spaces such as foodservice venues, pharmacy, and gift items that can be ordered through the bedside patient TV, billed and delivered direct to room.
- Provide information on the available entertainment options and TV viewing, and even incorporate tutorials on how to operate Pillow Speakers or how to find answers to questions about care or the facility.
- Offer a portal for Patient Education and another for Environmental controls so patients know they will be informed about their care and treatment. Having control of lights, temperature and window coverings helps them feel more comfortable, with some sense of control during their stay. MediaCare integrates with educational and environmental systems to make that possible.
Diversion and recuperation with entertainment and social connection
A variety of patient entertainment options are available to patients through MediaCare. Diverting activities like movies, gaming, social media and video connection with loved ones all play an important role in patient recovery by calming anxiety and alleviating boredom.
Providing diversion and forms of appropriate entertainment and social connection for a patient during their hospital stay can have a profound impact on their level of participation in care, treatment and response.
Better health literacy: patient education
HCI works with award-winning, authoritative voices in healthcare education. Health education content is presented in age-appropriate, easy to understand formats using video or animation to explain treatments and conditions with an empathetic tone of voice. Content is available in a variety of languages.
Video chat for updates and comfort
Family & Friends Connect gives patients the opportunity to securely videoconference to stay connected and engaged using their digital whiteboard or in-room TV. Patients and families can provide updates and reassurance to remote family and loved ones. Video opens up a channel for remote family to feel engaged in the patient’s health journey by offering comfort and news from their location.
Relaxation options support a healing environment
With an Interactive Patient Care solution that integrates digital relaxation content and connects to soothing audio, healthcare facilities provide an important respite for patients and their families to take a break from what can be a challenging situation.
Managing dietary requirements: touchscreen bedside meal ordering
When patients place a meal order through MediaCare, the platform seamlessly interfaces with existing dietary services to place and acknowledge the order. Menu options can be configured to display choices by condition: Cardiac, Diabetic, Gluten-Free, etc. Patients and their families are assured they’re following physician orders for their dietary health during their stay.
- After confirming identity to ensure the correct therapeutic menu choices are displayed, ordering is simple and straightforward using the existing meal system. Patients make meal choices with the touch of a button to their Bedside Tablet TV or Pillow Speaker – no need to spend time on hold with a call center.
- Dietary messaging and nutritional summaries complement existing nutritional counseling. Advance ordering allows meal ordering in advance. Restrictions can be set to limit the number of menu items ordered.
Care Teams can monitor and measure the amount of patient food intake per meal using a slider format on the Patient Whiteboard. This allows caregivers to quickly view how the patient is managing their food and discuss issues or challenges that may arise.
Encouraging patient engagement includes providing healthy choices. Streamline foodservice operations and reduce food waste while generating an additional revenue stream with interactive meal ordering.
Encouraging medication adherence: automated pharmacy fulfillment
Patients neglecting to fill a prescription or not being adequately educated about their medications can lead to an increase in sentinel events or readmissions, a poor patient experience reflected in HCAHPS scoring – and losses in reimbursement.
HCI offers Pharmacy Fulfillment through MediaCare, integrated with existing pharmacy and delivery systems. This frees up Nurse and clinician time and increases productivity within the pharmacy fulfillment operation:
- Active patient engagement and participation their medication management has significant impacts on patient safety and lowered risks for providers.
- Better patient understanding of medication effectiveness, purpose and side effects with improved therapeutic outcomes.
- Increased compliance once discharged, reduction in medication errors and preventable readmissions.
- Higher revenue from higher number of prescriptions fulfilled.
- Better management of pharmaceutical supplies and inventory
Medication Search, another service app available through MediaCare, allows patients and their families to fully understand what is being prescribed, with side effects and warnings. They can match the prescription they receive to images and additional information about their medication, and follow up with questions if needed.
Patient assurance and safety:
identifying the Care Team
For a patient visitor, seeing a family member in the hospital can be an emotional experience. You’re not only providing a better patient engagement experience, you’re providing an engagement experience to visitors as well. Integrating the hospital’s systems together to provide real-time Care Team information and displaying that information for review and historical context can have a significant, positive impact on a patient’s experience.
- MediaCare ties into the facility’s RTLS system, Active Directory or LDAP system to display instant notification when a badged staff member enter the room and when they leave.
- Every visit is tracked and recorded, creating a history of rounding and care. Alerts can be triggered in the event of security issues, so patients and staff alike remain safe.
- All HCI devices associated with a patient display the next scheduled round and who is scheduled to make the round; and Last Round information, with name, photo, date and time. This is useful for Contact Tracing.
Operational efficiency: self-service requests
Patient satisfaction as a feature of patient-centered care has become a key focus for healthcare organizations. It relies on keeping a clear line of communication open with patients. When they know their needs are being met, they’re more likely to report a higher level of satisfaction. You can streamline fulfillment with automated self-service.
- Integrated through MediaCare, Service Request allows patients to message directly through the in-room TV or Digital Whiteboard to service providers for fulfillment with immediate acknowledgement. Streamline operational requests by reducing non-clinical tasks for caregivers, speed delivery of services and reduce the burden of nonclinical tasks for Nursing staff with automated service requests.
- Easily edit the service options available to patients through the MediaCare Dashboard, with reporting to measure and manage inventories, staffing levels and responsiveness.
Patient requests for non-clinical services, such as room service, dining, housekeeping, a request for a clergy visit or other services route directly to the appropriate department, relieving Nursing staff of what otherwise could become a time-consuming non-clinical task.
Quality improvement and benchmarking to measure patient engagement:
Dynamic satisfaction and discharge surveys
Keeping a clear line of communication open creates trust and builds relationships. With real-time feedback, organizations can measure the quality of care, services provided and areas that need improvement. Real-time surveys provide opportunities for service recovery prior to discharge by engaging the patient in the process.
- Surveys are delivered to the in-room patient television through on-demand or non-intrusive prompts. Follow-up questions can dynamically change based upon the patient’s response, triggering a message to the appropriate staff member and alerting them to the patient’s satisfaction issue.
- Specific and aggregated reporting through the MediaCare dashboard provides administrators with insights to advocate for or modify quality improvement initiatives.